Monday, August 8, 2011

South Jackson Goes Country August 12


It's that time of the year, when South Jackson Civic Center's stage is dedicated to all things country.

South Jackson Goes Country is known as much for its live commercials, as it is for its musical performances. But this year, Saturday's lineup will include Sarah Blair, who will raise the caliber of the show a notch.

Absent from the annual country extravaganza for several years, Blair will be performing two numbers, including Two More Bottles of Wine, made famous in the 1970s by Emmylou Harris.
One might consider this to be an odd selection, considering Blair is a member of the Christian music group, Beyond Me, featuring Jonathan Fly.

But it is all in fun, said Blair.

“They wanted me to sing something old,” said Blair. “I had just met Kenny Wrinn, [a member of the South Jackson Goes Country house band], and he said, 'Sarah, can you do this song.' And he started playing. And I said, 'Oh my gosh. My mom used to [sing] that when I was a little kid.’ And it's so funny that I could remember the words from that time.”

“I just had to perform it, because it was so bizarre he asked me to do that particular song.”

Blair, who grew up in Toronto, Canada, has been living in Tullahoma with her husband, Dr. Mark Blair, a general surgeon, and her two children, for the last 11 years. Music has been an important part of her life since she was a small child, and it remains so.

“I just love it,” aid Blair. “My family is very musical. My thirteen-year-old son, Jake, plays the piano amazingly. And he's begun to write music. My daughter, Faith, who turns eight, will be performing for the first time during the show, by herself. And I think it is awesome that Tullahoma has this arts venue for all ages."

Music could just be in her childrens genes.

Their great-uncle was Johnny Cymbal, a songwriter, singer and record producer, based in Nashville. According to a Wikipedia entry, he was responsible for such hit records as Cinnamon, Mary In The Morning, and I'm Drinking Canada Dry.

“I'm over-joyed that they are both into singing now. It's fun. Maybe the three of us will start a family band,” she said laughing.

And her husband?

“My husband is our biggest fan,” said Blair. “He is really behind us. Today, during rehearsal, he texted, 'I've made sweet and sour chicken for you guys.' So I dropped my daughter off, and he made her dinner, after working all day in surgery. I'm really fortunate to have a husband who is so encouraging.”

Performances are on August 12, 13 and 14. The warm-up show begins at 7 pm on Friday and Saturday, followed by the main show at 7:30 pm. Sunday's warm-up show is at 1:30 pm, and the main show begins at 2 pm. Each day's show features a different line-up.

Tickets are $15 in advance and $17 at the door. Reservations can be made by calling 931-455-5321

No comments:

Post a Comment